Saturday, February 5, 2022

Meet the Writers

Meet our grades 6-8 story writing Write the Hook contest winners: Evelyn Esdaile and Molly Degnan. It was great to get to know them. Thanks Evelyn and Molly!

Six Questions for Molly Degnan ("Moonshade")
 
1. Did you enjoy the contest? How did you hear about it?

Yes, the contest was more fun than I thought it would be. I have a passion for writing, and the contest inspired me. It gave me extra writing practice. My English teacher, Cassandra Wilfert, told the class about the contest and gave us extra credit if we entered.

2. What was your writing process and how did the story idea come to you?

I worked on my story with a friend, with Evelyn, who won first place. We read each other's stories and revised them together. I'm a night owl and have sticky notes next to my bed to jot down ideas and things I want to remember so I can clear my mind to sleep. The story was in my head for a long time. I don't remember why I first thought of it. The contest made me put it on paper. My inspiration was to have a villain as the main character. I didn't expect the idea to turn out as it did. I wrote multiple drafts, but then discarded the whole thing and rewrote it. I feel it came out much better.

3. How much of the story did you write? Did you finish? Are you still working on it?

I paused all other stories I was working on to write Moonshade. I am still in the process of writing it. I wrote more of it over the Winter break. I hope to complete it and share it with my family.

4. What do you think your story's ending will be?

Every time I think about it the ending changes. I think that only the close friends in the story will really know what happened, but I do like a happily ever after ending. I'd like to develop the story into a series.

5. If the contest is offered again next Fall, do you think you will enter?

Definitely, it was a lot of fun.

6. What are you reading now and what is something you recently read that you liked?

I'm reading The Giver, by Lois Lowry. It's a page turner, though I didn't think I would like it before I started reading it. I like dystopian books, because the characters come together to fight for a cause and to solve problems. My favorite books are Divergent, and The Hunger Games.

 

Six Questions for Evelyn Esdaile ("Another Survivor")

1. Did you enjoy the contest? How did you hear about it?

I like writing and writing contests. I entered a Scholastic writing contest and won a gift certificate to donate to an animal shelter of my choice. I also entered a school writing contest. My English teacher told me about the Write the Hook contest.

2. What was your writing process and how did the story idea come to you?

My first idea for the story was imagining someone running through streets with a suitcase, and then I added a monster. I wrote it all down in an hour, and then showed it to my teacher and to my parents.

3. How much of the story did you write? Did you finish? Are you still working on it?

I haven't finished writing it, but I might. It's about 700 words now.

4. What do you think your story's ending will be?

I would have to kill one of the people in the helicopter to make it interesting, but would let the rest live -- also I'd have to kill the weird thing that was chasing them.

5. If the contest is offered again next Fall, do you think you will enter?

I probably would enter.

6. What are you reading now and what is something you recently read that you liked? 

I've read and re-read all of the Percy Jackson books (by Rick Riordan) three times,. I am now reading the Magnus Chase books (by Rick Riordan). I love all the characters in these books, plus the comedy, adventure, and Greek mythology.