Thursday, January 27, 2022

Meet the Writers

Meet our grades 9-12 story writing Write the Hook contest winners: McKenna Marsh and Yash Bolishetti. It was rewarding to talk with them, hear about their writing process, and get their thoughts on the contest. Thanks McKenna and Yash!

Six Questions for McKenna Marsh ("Invitation of Affluence")

1. Did you enjoy the contest?

Yes, I've never entered a writing contest before. I liked sharing my writing. Everyone should do it - it was super fun.

2. What was your writing process and how did the story idea come to you?

I thought about ideas because of the contest. My ideas for the story came from thinking about people who go on an adventure, what would happen if mail got lost, and something special happening that changes your life. I wrote pieces of the story when I had free time and then edited.

3. How much of the story did you write? Did you finish? Are you still working on it?

I wrote more than the 1,000 word limit. I had to edit it down for the contest. I plan to continue working on it.

4. What do you think your story's ending will be?

I don't have an ending in mind. I will see where the story goes. It's mysterious.

5. If the contest is offered again next Fall, do you think you will enter? How did you learn about the contest?

Yes, I would. I liked the hook contest. I learned about the contest when I was visiting the library with my aunt. She found the flyer and suggested I enter.

6. What are you reading now and what is something you recently read that you liked?

I'm currently reading Amanda Gorman's book Call Us What We Carry. I recently read and liked, A Gentleman in Moscow. And I want to read We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart.

Six Questions for Yash Bolishetti ("Aaron Aarrowood and the Arena")

1. Did you enjoy the contest?

Yes, it was nice to get the story out there. I liked getting feedback about my story. It led me to make some changes in the writing.

2. What was your writing process and how did the story idea come to you?

The story I submitted to the contest is an opener to a book series I am writing. I wrote four or five drafts and lots of things changed through the process. I used a graphic organizer (or bubble map) to plan the book series. When I began writing the story my main idea was about a random kid exposed to a new world who becomes an artificially enhanced soldier for a company, but then he uses those enhancements for his own gain. I wanted a character with imperfections.

3. How much of the story did you write? Did you finish? Are you still working on it?

I finished the first book which is 214 pages, and the second book which is 196 pages. I am now writing the third book in the series which is 250 pages so far.

4. What do you think your story's ending will be?

At the end of the first book my main character is captured by Bognerians and put in a gladiatorial arena and then the story escalates from there - which I found surprising when I was writing it.

 5. If the contest is offered again next Fall, do you think you will enter?

Yes, definitely. I would write something new if it is a Write the Hook contest again. It would be great if the maximum word limit would allow a margin of, maybe, 50 words. It was difficult to edit my story to exactly 1,000 words.

6. What are you reading now and what is something you recently read that you liked?

I'm currently reading On Writing and Worldbuilding, by Timothy Hickson (Note: This book is now on order for the Library). The book is good at explaining what to avoid and gives examples from pop culture. I recently read American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I thought this book would be too fancy, but the the main character is very relatable, a real person. I admire that and would like to do something similar in my stories.